I came home hungry the other night and needed to make something fairly quick before heading out to a movie. I looked in the fridge and found seven jalapeños. I decided I was going to try my hand at making jalapeño poppers!
I pulled the jalapeños out and looked for some cream cheese and other usual ingredients. I found none. So, with the clock ticking, I grabbed some jalapeño Feta (I bought a 5 pound bag last week), some pre-grated Cotija cheese, and the remains of a block of cheddar cheese.
- First, I preheat the oven to 400.
- I then cut the jalapeños in half, lengthwise, and spooned out the ribs and seeds.
- I put equal parts of the three cheeses in a glass bowl and slowly heated to just before melting.
- Take a spoon and mix the cheeses together. It turned into a ball that resembled really soft dough.
- Fill each jalapeño halve with the cheese mixture.
At this point, when I went to put the cheeses back in the fridge, I noticed some thick-sliced bacon. Yum!!! I decided to wrap them.
- I took pieces of bacon, cut them in thirds, and used each piece to wrap a jalapeño.
- Next, place a wire rack over the top of a 9×13 backing pan (to catch the bacon drippings) and put in the oven until the bacon is crispy.
- Let cool and serve.
I love chilies! There are so many types of chilies, all with different flavors and different levels of heat. Experiment with other types and see what you come up with.